I came across Angela Yarbrough over on Instagram, because of a photograph with a four-wheeler in it. I’ve got a soft place in my heart for all things motorsports. I grew up in northern Michigan, so I was always on a quad or snowmobile. So, this picture stood out to me and I went to her feed. I mean, that’s what happens on social media, right?
When I landed on Angela’s feed, it wasn’t what my typical experience in landing on another photographer’s feed. Most of the time, it seems like most of the shares are a big spotlight of their children. I’m guilty of it too! Not that there’s any real guilt – there’s nothing bad around that – but what I noticed about Angela’s, I felt a different experience vibe. I wasn’t only getting a piece of her life (her child), I was getting more of the big picture.
We are all MORE than a parent. Maybe you’re not a parent and maybe there’s a trend with ONE thing you’re sharing. That’s the overall thing here. If we’re all focused on only 1-2 things that we’re sharing, how can we give a little more of the bigger picture?
In this episode, we talk about:
- how Angela intuitively documents her life and how she’s decided NOT to pursue the documentary family photography approach in her business (at least, right NOW)
- how online interaction affected Angela’s photography
- documenting her life beyond her child and motherhood
- how Angela’s managing her family memories
- what working with models taught Angela
- and, lastly, about teaching kids the importance of pictures
Enjoy the story.
- Download this ep’s Mini Mag here
- Podcast Guest: Angela Yarbrough Website | Instagram
- FB Group: Self Portraits of Motherhood
- Shooting Fun: Instax Mini Film, Fuji Camera, & Printer
- Pro Lab: Nations Photo Lab
- Film Fun: Kodak Disposable Cameras
- Journaling on Pinterest: Mommy & Me
- Angela’s Fashion Work: See on her site
- Fashion Photographer: Lindsey Adler
- Boudoir Photographer: Jen Rozenbaum
MY SUBTLE ASK:
- REALLY digging this podcast?: Leave IDP a quick review! This will help me get us AMAZING guests for your listening pleasure. #helpmehelpyou
Like this ep? Bookmark by pinning this: