Did you know that I almost had a co-host? I did! I listened to my first few episodes in April 2017 and thought, ‘Man, I am BORING. I think I’d drown myself out.’ So, I wanted a co-host to breathe some life into my serious, all-business side and immediately Stacey Ilyse came to mind.
Our paths crossed in early 2016 when she was a student of Mastery Moment-Seekers. This was when I rant he program live for 12 weeks – where I spoke to the students on small group calls each week for 12 weeks. I got to know Stacey (and the rest of my students really well). Stacey came across as this tenacious yet skeptical person. She asked a lot of questions and wasn’t afraid to challenge me, like, “Marie, are you sure? Because….” and she’d give me her perspective.
I LOVE when students do that and don’t just take your word and run for it. I love when they need you to go deeper. It makes you, as the teacher, look at your thoughts from a new perspective and overall you become a better teacher.
(So thanks, Stacey! xo)
This quality made me think Stacey would be a great interviewer when we have guests on. She’d ask some awesome Q’s!
Not to mention, the woman has a delightfully fun + witty personality. I love that she’s kinda with me in this photograph freely – your lens, your way – mission. She’s not about to box you into some sort to label. Her work is an exceptional representation of how doing whatever the hell you want can make your work amazing – and that’s just being a photographer, not trying so hard to cross your t’s + dot your i’s to be a TYPE of photographer.
So, I’m really pumped for you to learn from Stacey today.
On the co-host front:
I asked her, she said yes, and we recorded a few episodes. Then, life happened and we both kept pushing the podcast off (more so me!). Finally, I asked, “do you still wanna do this?” and we decided to not move forward together – no hard feelings of course – and she’s jumped into another passion: Essential Oils.
In this ep, we cover:
- The bond of sisterhood and how that fuels Stacey
- how her 365 has affected her beyond technical growth
- connecting with your subjects WHILE still documenting
- connecting with potential clients through personal work
- details on Stacey’s Breaking the Glass Ceiling class including ONE lesson she finds she’s frequently teaching (it may be a good one for you)
- and, as always, we wrap with her Iconic photo
Enjoy the story.
- Download this ep’s Mini Mag here
- Podcast Guest: Stacey Ilyse Website | Facebook | Instagram
- Workshop: Breaking the Glass Ceiling
- Stacey’s Underwater Film: Watch here
- Preservation Project Inspo: Remy Interview
- Shooting Tool: Lensbaby
- Related Article: 10 Tips to Master Your 365 Daily Photo Project
- (For Story-Keepers) Create your To-Shoot List here (more like, to-remember list!)
Like this ep? Bookmark by pinning this: